How to Identify and Get Rid of Flies
Need Immediate Assistance?
Pest problems in your area?
Ehrlich can help. Find your local pest control expert now.
How to Get Rid of Flies
A fly or two making their way inside your home is aggravating but not uncommon. You chase them around with the fly swatter and that usually takes care of the problem. Sometimes, though it can turn into more than just a fly or two and that will require the help and know-how of a professional pest control company.
Flies are more than a nuisance; they are dirty little creatures. The World Health Organization estimates that flies are responsible for transmitting more than 60 diseases, including dysentery, salmonella and tuberculosis. The feeding habit of flies put them in contact with bacteria-filled matter and they can transmit it to you or contaminate surfaces in your home or business. That’s why it becomes important to take action if you have too many flies on your property.
How to Identify Flies
All flies are bothersome, but it is essential to know what type of fly you are dealing with to make sure you treat for it properly and effectively. There are more than 18,000 species of flies in the United States, but you’ll probably only ever come in contact with a handful of them.
House flies are the most common type of fly found in homes in the U.S. They usually don’t get any bigger than a quarter of an inch long, are gray and have four black stripes on the upper part of their bodies. The are slightly hairy, winged and have red eyes, but don’t have teeth or a stinger. So, they don’t bite but they can spread germs like salmonella, typhoid and dozens of other kinds of disease-causing bacteria. House flies can only feed on liquids, but their mouths are built to liquefy solid foods. They prefer, pet waste, garbage, human food and animal carcasses.
Fruit flies can be found all over the U.S. Their lifespans are short, but they reproduce quickly. Females can lay up to 500 eggs that can hatch in 24 hours or less. Fruit flies are small, oval-shaped and brown or tan in color. They have six legs, antennae, a tan upper back area and black and grey abdomens. As their name implies, they are attracted to fruit, but they prefer it to be rotten. They also feast on rotten vegetables and fermented liquid like wine, liquor or beer. They’re attracted to moist, unsanitary and dark places like trash bins, drains and garbage disposals. They can also carry and spread germs and diseases.
Horse flies are a fairly good size for a fly – some can be almost an inch long. They have gray or black bodies, big green or purple eyes, six legs and short antennae. They are found near bodies of water and are attracted to light. So, sometimes you’ll find a group of them on your windows. Horse flies don’t transmit disease, but they do bite, and not only does it hurt but their bites can cause allergic reactions in some people.
Preventing Fly Infestations
No matter the type of flies swarming around your property, you’ll want to do what you can to get rid of them. The best option for effective and continual elimination is to have your home and property treated by a professional pest control service. If you would rather try to attempt to get rid of them yourself, there are a few things you can try to do that.
- Mix dish soap and apple cider vinegar and add a pinch of sugar to it. The smell of the vinegar will attract the flies, the soap will kill them. You’ll need to place your mixture in areas where flies are an issue and put it in containers you can throw away.
- Hang fly paper in places where flies are a problem. The sticky strips on the paper will trap the flies and they’ll eventually die because they are unable to get free.
- Flies don’t like the smell of eucalyptus oil. So, you can soak paper strips in it and hang it near a window. This won’t kill flies but it will repel them.
- Use your empty soda bottles as a trap. Cut off the top third of the bottle, fill the bottom with sugar water and place the top of the bottle back on it – but this time upside down. The flies can get into the bottle, but they can’t get out.
No one wants flies inside their home, but it’s just as important to keep them away from the outside of your property.
- Flies breed in mulch piles, so you’ll want to move the piles away from house as much as possible. Or at the very least – keep them away from your windows and doors.
- Flies like trash, so empty your garbage regularly, keep your cans sealed and store them away from your doors and windows.
- Flies like pet waste, so clean up after your pets.
- Plant basil, mint or lavender. The plants will keep flies away because they don’t like the smell.
Call now to schedule service from Ehrlich's local experts.
Getting Rid of Flies in Your House
Treatment Methods for Flies
If the do-it-yourself methods don’t work, give Ehrlich a call. We will be more than happy to send one our licensed, professional and highly trained fly specialists to your home. We will be glad to set up an appointment at a time that’s most convenient for you and your family and come up with a long-term solution for the flies on your property.
Step 1: Free Inspection
Our pest control experts will thoroughly inspect your home – inside and out for free. We will find where the infestation is and how the flies are getting in.
Step 2: Customized Plan
Our technicians will assess the situation and make recommendations based on your specific needs. We will give you a detailed idea of how to tackle your problem, give you a price quote for our services and answer any and all questions you may have.
Step 3: Protection and Prevention
We don’t use the one size fits all approach. Our treatment plans are tailored to your particular need. We will treat your home and create a regular pest control schedule to ensure the flies don’t come back.
Some of our treatment plans include:
- Insect Light Traps – flies are attracted to light. As the name implies the light will attract the fly and then the trap will keep them from getting away.
- Liquid applications – Our specialized formula is safe for your family and pets and eco-friendly, all while eliminating flies from your home and property.
- Removing decaying vegetation – Sometimes, the best method is prevention. Getting rid of rotting plants and vegetation around your home can help get rid of the flies.
Professional Fly Treatment
At Ehrlich, controlling and eliminating pests is not just a job, it’s our passion. We are continually learning and expanding our pest control methods to ensure we are using the best practices to get rid of any pest problem you have. We will work with you and won’t give up until we find the best possible treatment for your fly problem.
Often with a fly infestation there’s a breeding site. Our Ehrlich technicians are trained to know where to look and how to find where fly eggs may be. We will eliminate the breeding site, and ultimately put an end to the flies on your property for good.
Ehrlich’s Fly Services
Whatever pest control issue you may have, Ehrlich is here to help. Our pest control specialists are highly trained, licensed and certified professionals who use the latest technology, treatment and tools to eliminate your current problems and prevent future infestations. We have been protecting homes and businesses from pests since 1928 – we’d be honored to protect yours too.